APPLICATION GUIDE METALFLAKE & GLOWBLE
1. Prepare surface. A. lf surface is stripped bare, sand with oscillating sander using #180 grit paper. Wash thoroughly with a metal conditioner. B. lf the existing surface is a factory baked finish in good condition, scuff with #400 sand paper and apply a bleed sealer after applying a Primer-Surfacer 0therwise we recommend removing finish down to original surface. (A bleeder-sealer should be used over all primers and other existing finishes.
2. Prime with 3 coats of Primer-Surfacer. Allow 15 minutes drying time between first two coats and 45 minutes after final coat, Sand with #360 grit paper.
3. Apply 3 coats of an Automotive Acrylic Lacquer Metallic color that matches, as closely as possible, the color of the flake being used. This will serve as a ground coat for the flake that will render any void spots from the flake coats unnoticeable.
4. Mix 4-5 ounces of Metalflake or Glowble to a quart of reduced (one-to-one) Clear Acrylic lacquer and apply 3 or more coats depending upon the degree of coverage desired, alternating spraying direction with each coat Use 2 ball bearings in cup and hand agitate constantly to keep flake in suspension. Alternate spray pattern with each coat to avoid streaking. Spray Pattern Use a Devilbiss #043 #30 or #306 nozzle or their equivalent to apply flake coats (use 25 lbs. pressure at the gun). Allow 20 minutes drying time between each coat, rub surface lightly with bare hand between each coat to flatten flakes standing on end. Blow off excess flake with air gun.
5. Final Finishing 0ption #1. Apply enough Clear Acrylic (we suggest Endura Clear 100) to allow for sanding without exposing the Spindrift (14-18 coats suggested.) Allow 10 minutes drying time between coats. After final coat, allow 3 weeks drying time before sanding with #220 grit sand paper using an oscillating sander until all orange peel disappears. All edges and sharp curves must be hand sanded to avoid sanding through to flake. Apply 2 more coats of Clear Acrylic. Allow to dry overnight, then wet-sand with #1000 grit paper, compound with buffing wheel and wax. 0ption #2. Apply enough Clear Acrylic (we suggest Endura Clear 100) to allow for sanding without exposing the flake (14-18 coats suggested) Allow 10 minutes drying time between coati. After final coat allow 3 weeks drying time before sanding with #220 grit sand paper using an oscillating sander until all orange peel disappears. All edges and sharp curves must be hand sanded to avoid sanding through to flake. Apply 3 coats of catalyzed Crysta-Crylor for "Wet Look". 3 coats of catalyzed Polygloss Clear, allowing 1 hour drying time between first two coats and 4 hours between second and third coats. Do not re-coat, this can cause wrinkling and/or lifting.